Wednesday, December 7, 2022

The Man Who Went To Heaven And Back

From time to time we hear of near death experiences. Some claim to have seen the "white light", the end of the tunnel, but it just wasn't their time yet, so they returned to life to tell about it. Are these true stories? Maybe. Or they just dreams, or made up stories? We can only speculate.

However, there is one story of a man seeing and experiencing the realm of heaven that is absolutely true without a doubt, and I'll explain why it must be true later. Below is a quote from the man himself.....

"This boasting will do no good, but I must go on. I will reluctantly tell about visions and revelations from the Lord. I was caught up to the third heaven fourteen years ago. Whether I was in my body or out of my body, I don’t know—only God knows. Yes, only God knows whether I was in my body or outside my body. But I do know that I was caught up to paradise and heard things so astounding that they cannot be expressed in words, things no human is allowed to tell."

Amazing!! Unfortunately this person cannot be interviewed today because he died approximately 2000 years ago! His name is Paul. The Apostle Paul. And why do I say this is a true story? Because this is quoted in the Bible which is the word of God. And the Bible is truth. You can find Paul's quote in 2 Corinthians 12:1-4.

Paul tells about visions, revelations, and hearing astounding things that cannot be expressed in words, things no human being is even allowed to tell. So Paul never did tell exactly what he heard, only that he heard something. And even if he tried to tell of these things, he wouldn't be able to describe them in words. All he can do is admit what happened to him -- that he was caught up to the third heaven (which refers to heaven itself, the glorious paradise where God dwells).

What's interesting to me is the fact that Paul reluctantly waited 14 years to tell about it. Why? He explains it himself.....

"That experience is worth boasting about, but I’m not going to do it. I will boast only about my weaknesses. If I wanted to boast, I would be no fool in doing so, because I would be telling the truth. But I won’t do it, because I don’t want anyone to give me credit beyond what they can see in my life or hear in my message, even though I have received such wonderful revelations from God."  (2 Corinthians 12:5-7a)

Paul did not want to appear to be boastful. But more importantly, he felt that the Gospel message that he was called to deliver was all sufficient and more powerful than his heavenly story. And he felt that his example, the way he lived, was more effective of a testimony than his testimony of experiencing heaven. 

To sum things up, what value does this admission by Paul give to us? Why would he admit it? For me, it strengthens my faith. If Paul visited heaven and told us about it, then heaven must be true. His words gives us hope of eternal life, of resurrected life after death -- that there is a place that God has for us -- a paradise! Paul's story is a confirmation of our faith and belief. Paul is telling us that heaven is real - he's seen it and heard it!

Let's hold on to the truth of Paul's words, and to the promise that Jesus talked about -- the promise of heaven...

My Father’s house has many rooms; if that were not so, would I have told you that I am going there to prepare a place for you?  And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with me that you also may be where I am. (John 14:2-3)

And remember....

For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. (John 3:16)


No comments:

Post a Comment