Wednesday, August 30, 2017

Hurricane Harvey: The Goodness Of Man

During this past year, it just seems like the world has gone crazy. I can hardly watch the news anymore. There's hate, there's violence, there's stabbings, and killings. And it's all over the globe. Sometimes I wonder if the entire human race has gone mad. Maybe it's a sign of the end times! I don't know.

Is it that things are progressively getting worse, and people are becoming more evil? Or is it that we simply hear about all the bad news more quickly than ever before because of modern communication technology? Is anger and selfishness spreading rampant? Or is just a small minority magnified by the news media?

Honestly, I haven't quite figured out the answer. But then came Hurricane Harvey. Even with all the devastation and destruction, something good is emerging. It's called compassion. What's going on in the aftermath is giving me new hope for the human race. I see images of people helping people, regardless of race, religion, or politics!

I see the common everyday person volunteering to rescue people using boats, canoes, floating devices, and any means possible, even risking their own life in the process. I hear of people all over the country sending supplies and money to those suffering in Houston.

Maybe humans aren't inherently evil after all. And when it comes right down to it, could it be that there's goodness and kindness somewhere inside each person's heart waiting to come out? I think so, and that's what I want to take away from Hurricane Harvey.

The outreach shown by all those who are helping others reminds me of a story that Jesus told. It's the story of the good Samaritan who showed mercy to a stranger who was mugged, bandaging his wounds, then providing his food and lodging, while others wouldn't help, but passed him by.

There are many, many good Samaritans on display because of Hurricane Harvey, reaching out with compassion to those in need. We can learn from their actions.

The moral of the story of the good Samaritan:  Jesus said, "Go and do the same!" (Luke 10:37)


No comments:

Post a Comment